Sorry for the long silence! Life has been very busy, but now I can get back to updating this section of my blog. I’ve since finished this costume for my friend, but I want to continue with this series and finish before I move on to my current project.
So continuing from my last post, I said I would talk about the bodice and skirt. My bodice pieces were exactly what I needed them to be, so I continued onward to the neck pieces. Because of the odd shape of the neckline, it wasn’t going to work out for me to cut once piece on the fold of my fabric and cut it out. I had to make four pieces, which I sewed together with a basting stitch, and then ran through my serger.
At the corner of the neck piece, I made sure to leave seam allowance space to that it could be sewn on properly to the the bodice, seen here:
The next part to tackle was the skirt, which was pretty straightforward. I cut out all of my pieces, and then modified each one to mimic the asymmetrical waist line of the bodice. I didn’t make pattern pieces for this, as my medical paper wasn’t wide enough. It didn’t occur to me until later that I could have combined pieces to make it wide enough (whoops), I’ll blame that on lack of sleep or something, lol. The skirt had five pieces, which I sewed into two “halves.” One “half was comprised of the side front and side back pieces, and the other was the front, side back, and back pieces. I left them that way for a bit so that I could figure out how much to cut off for the asymmetrical look. I ended up cutting off about 3 inches, and I replaced it with 4- 3” pieces (plus seam allowance) for the waist band that separates the bodice and skirt.
After basting and serging all of my seams, this was the look of the skirt at this point. (I also did make sure to accommodate for the split in her skirt, but drape of the fabric is masking it.)
And after that, I put the pieces together! I think I mentioned it earlier, but my friend decided that she wanted to keep the sleeves a little shorter than they should have been, so they stop just past the elbow. I added a cuff to each of them to finish them. The cuff was 6″ wide (plus seam allowance), and folded in half to 3″, basted on to the sleeve, and serged.
I used a blind hem stitch on my serger, to hem the skirt. I think it’s really cool that my machine has that function. I still plan on saving up for a cover stitch machine, but until then, the blind hem stitch is pretty close. 😀
The difference between a blind hem and a cover stitch, is that a blind hem looks basically invisible on the outside, and overlocked on the inside, while a cover stitch is the type of stitch you see on most commercial clothing where there is a double straight stitch visible on the outside, and overlocked on the inside. I’ll include some photos from Google to show the difference.
And here was the finished dress on my friend! 🙂
Thanks for reading!! ❤